"Catastrophic" Hard...

Notifications
Clear all

"Catastrophic" Hardware Failure in MSP background check system  

Doctor_M
(@doctor_m)
Eminent Member

In case you haven't heard this, the MD State Police are reporting significant delays in gun background checks and licenses do to a “catastrophic hardware failure” in the state's data system.

"The hardware failure of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services has caused an interruption in the state police department’s licensing division’s ability to complete background investigations for regulated firearm purchase applications, handgun qualification license applications and state wear-and-carry permit applications, state police said in an advisory Monday".

So... honest question... what is to keep the State from slow-rolling a fix?  Could they conceivably hold licenses and purchases indefinitely, if they "can't" (or won't) get the system back up?  I see no legal imperative for them to prioritize this.  Even a law suit could drag a response out several years if they wanted.  Is this a new angle?  Gun control by IT incompetence? 

Topic starter Posted : 24/06/2020 3:16 pm
hollywoodball
(@hollywoodball)
Member Admin

Wow. If only there were a system where they could just submit their data and participate in a national program to do this...

Hollywood Ball

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2020 10:46 am
DaemonAssassin
(@daemonassassin)
Estimable Member

This is what can and will happen when a LE agency is the sole POC for NICS.  As such, MSP LD should have that authority taken from them.  I remember the fiasco of 2013 and a lot of people not even getting the "Not Disapproved" back on the 77R's.  Hell, I was one of those people in a private sale!

Furthermore, it shows that MSP can cut off all gun sales in MD if they want to by claiming a "technical issue" once the LGQL get enacted.  MSP has been able to strip the right, not only by enforcing the HQL, but also by being able to have a "technical issue" at will.

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

I give no fawkes.

SOTAR FTW!
Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/07/2020 11:20 am
Share: