Notifications
Clear all

Another hit against home-made firearms  

Doctor_M
(@doctor_m)
Eminent Member

Rhode Island just approved a strict ban on a variety of hobbyist-built homemade guns.  The anti-freedom measure prohibits anyone from “manufacturing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, purchasing, possessing, or having under his or her control” any firearm that doesn’t have a serial number or is made almost exclusively of plastics or through a 3-D printing process. The bill passed the Rhode Island House of Representatives 61-8 last week after an earlier passage by the state Senate.  The RI lawmakers cast this in the typical "ghost-gun" rhetoric (i.e., undetectable plastic guns, facilitate criminal activity, no safeguards, etc.).

The kicker is the legislation includes a punishment of up to 10 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.  It was spearheaded by the Rhode Island Coalition Against Gun Violence and Rhode Island Moms Demand Action (aka Commie Mommies).  

RI is a HEAVILLY blue state with 113 seats in General Assembly, only 14 of which are held by Republicans. The bill now heads to Gov. Gina Raimondo (D) for signature.

10 years for doing an 80% build.  Yep, that sounds like justice (insert sarcasm emoji here).

Topic starter Posted : 24/06/2020 3:29 pm
DaemonAssassin
(@daemonassassin)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @doctor_m

Rhode Island just approved a strict ban on a variety of hobbyist-built homemade guns.  The anti-freedom measure prohibits anyone from “manufacturing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, purchasing, possessing, or having under his or her control” any firearm that doesn’t have a serial number or is made almost exclusively of plastics or through a 3-D printing process. The bill passed the Rhode Island House of Representatives 61-8 last week after an earlier passage by the state Senate.  The RI lawmakers cast this in the typical "ghost-gun" rhetoric (i.e., undetectable plastic guns, facilitate criminal activity, no safeguards, etc.).

The kicker is the legislation includes a punishment of up to 10 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.  It was spearheaded by the Rhode Island Coalition Against Gun Violence and Rhode Island Moms Demand Action (aka Commie Mommies).  

RI is a HEAVILLY blue state with 113 seats in General Assembly, only 14 of which are held by Republicans. The bill now heads to Gov. Gina Raimondo (D) for signature.

10 years for doing an 80% build.  Yep, that sounds like justice (insert sarcasm emoji here).

Seems to me as if RI needs to have their heads checked with a quickness.  But there is a way around this lunacy.  Buy and build an 80% and have it serialized somewhere out of state.

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

I give no fawkes.

SOTAR FTW!
Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2020 2:46 pm
Doctor_M
(@doctor_m)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @daemonassassin

Seems to me as if RI needs to have their heads checked with a quickness.  But there is a way around this lunacy.  Buy and build an 80% and have it serialized somewhere out of state.

Or... alternatively, just yell "We Will Not Comply",

shake your fists at the sky,

build on the sly,

and live free or die.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/06/2020 3:30 pm
Doctor_M
(@doctor_m)
Eminent Member

And today (6/26/20), DC has filed a suit against Polymer 80 to address what the District calls, illegal sales of firearms by a non-licensed dealer within the District.  I guess a block of plastic, a zero percent receiver, should also be regulated as a firearm.  PA tried to do just that and ban anything that could be used to manufacture a firearm.  Polymer 80 has successfully blocked that with an injunction.

This will all have to play out in the courts, but I'm not hopeful that they will come down on the correct side of Liberty.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/06/2020 3:42 pm
DaemonAssassin
(@daemonassassin)
Estimable Member

@doctor_m  No matter what happens, the fight for the 2A is always at the front of the line.  We can't give up a single inch.

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

I give no fawkes.

SOTAR FTW!
Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2020 1:50 pm
Share: