Magpul Hunter 700 o...

Notifications
Clear all

Magpul Hunter 700 or No?  

hollywoodball
(@hollywoodball)
Member Admin

So I’ve got this Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 with 16.5” barrel. Always wanted to drop it into a Magpul Hunter stock and convert it to mag fed, but this Hogue stock is pretty nice.

Anyone using a Magpul Hunter stock? Should I make the switch?

Hollywood Ball

Topic starter Posted : 19/05/2020 8:57 am
Topic Tags
DaemonAssassin
(@daemonassassin)
Estimable Member

I've been wanting to do a Hunter stock on a 700 SPS Varmint 308 and add in the Magpul DBM for it, just so I can finally float the effin barrel! I thought about Hogue and Choate originally, but I decided I would eventually get a Magpul Hunter stock for it.

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

I give no fawkes.

SOTAR FTW!
Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 11:35 am
Steves1911
(@steves1911)
Eminent Member

I have a adl varmint in a Choate that I've thought about putting in a magpul.  I really want that bottom metal but it shoots so good I don't wanna mess with it.

"One day you may find me dead face first in a ditch...but by god ill be surrounded by a pile of brass!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 7:35 pm
DaemonAssassin
(@daemonassassin)
Estimable Member

@steves1911

You can always go with an aftermarket DBM that is something other than Magpul, that uses AICS mags.

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

I give no fawkes.

SOTAR FTW!
Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2020 3:04 pm
Cornholio
(@cornholio)

The magpul would be an upgrade from the hogue but for a little more, you can get a KRG Bravo and have an overall better stock. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/06/2020 9:31 am
hollywoodball
(@hollywoodball)
Member Admin
Posted by: @cornholio

The magpul would be an upgrade from the hogue but for a little more, you can get a KRG Bravo and have an overall better stock. 

Ok.  Gave it a quick look but not sure what makes it that much better when looking at the prices...

Hollywood Ball

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/06/2020 10:03 am
Cornholio
(@cornholio)

@hollywoodball

Magpul hunter is what it says a hunting stock. Non-adjusatble in the field, not well suited for extended firing session. The one I had the plastic would soften up and flex some after extended firing sessions. When combined with a spigot bipod mount it would flex enough to touch the barrel. I was using a 24 inch m24 profile Douglas barrel (Heavier than Remington varmint contour) so YMMV. The barrel channel was opened up for the barrel and reopened after the touching issue. 

Check here for other experiences https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/magpul-hunter-vs-krg-bravo.6881487/#:~:text=I%20found%20absolutely%20no%20difference,shooting%20and%20PRS%20style%20matches.&text=The%20Bravo%20is%20better%20for,more%20functional%20for%20tactical%20shooting.   

The KRG also does not require a DBM bottom metal, the magpul comes with one and a lot of people like them so there is that. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/06/2020 10:32 am
Cornholio
(@cornholio)

[img] [/img]

Another option is Greyboe. Here is an SPS I did a while back and shot at Harry Jones Memorial Range out 800 with no issues. They have a model similar in price to the magpul. The one pictured is a ridgeback.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 9:50 am
Share: